- Michiru Pharmacies was established in the year 2000 as an investment of The Medical Aid Society of Malawi (MASM).
- The company was incorporated on 14th July 2000 and commenced operations in mid August 2000. The company’s main activity is the retailing of pharmaceutical products. It is owned by the Medical Aid Society of Malawi (MASM) as its 100% shareholder.
- Unlike MASM, Michiru Pharmacies was registered as a limited liability company, as such it is expected to post profit and declare dividend to its sole shareholder, MASM at the end of the year.
- The main objectives of venturing into the pharmacy business were:
o To provide drugs to MASM members at affordable prices.
o To act as a market check for drug prices charged to MASM members.
o To act as an information base during forums that MASM carries out with GPs when negotiating and agreeing on drug prices.
- Michiru Pharmacies Limited is operating retail and wholesale pharmacy outlets under one roof along the Victoria Avenue in Blantyre and a retail outlet shop in Nico Centre Building in Lilongwe. Plans are underway to establish presence in Mzuzu.
- Open to MASM members and the general public with MASM members enjoying an automatic 20% discount on all prescribed drugs.
- It is a major supplier of drugs to MASM Medi-clinics, another subsidiary of MASM .
- This arrangement ensures that all clinics are adequately stocked with requisite medicines at all times
Michiru Pharmacies Ltd
P.O. Box 31190
Chichiri, Blantyre 3
Tel: +265 1 821 014
Fax: +265 1 823 616